Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster?


Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster? - No matter where you live, we are all susceptible to a natural disaster. It could be a fire, a tornado, a blizzard or even something more treacherous like a tsunami or hurricane. No matter what the disaster is there is nothing that you or I can do to stop it. All we can do is be prepared.

When preparing for any natural disaster, its best to keep it to the basics. Make sure you have enough food, water, and supplies for at least three to five days. When I made my survival kit for myself and my family, I did three separate kits. The first is a large kit that is in a rubber tote. Then I made two backpacks, one for the kids and another for me and my husband. I also made one to keep in the back of my van, because you never know where you will be when disaster strikes.

In each kit I have basically the same things just on different scales. In the tote there is water, canned food, rice, beans and a few other nonperishable foods. There is a flashlight for each member of the family as well as extra batteries. There is a large first-aid kit, blankets, and a change of clothes for everyone. I also have a few garbage bags, gloves, small tool kit. A knife, can opener, waterproof matches, fire extinguisher and copies of any important documents, like birth certificates and social security cards. And to top it off I have hand sanitizer, bleach and soap. I keep this kit in our hallway closet.


Eddy Mathews Mike Hughey
Deputy Eddy Mathews - Deputy Eddy Mathews of the Mayes County, Okla., Sheriff's Department hands off a dog to volunteer Mike Hughey of Ozark, Mo., after rescuers found a pair of dogs in the rubble of a destroyed home near the St. John's Regional Medical Center in Joplin, Mo., Monday, May 23, 2011. A destructive tornado moved through the city on Sunday evening, killing at least 89 people and injuring hundreds more



Now in the back packs there are similar things like copy of important documents first aid kits flashlights change of clothes and soap. But instead of having a large amount of food and water, there are a few energy bars and a couple of bottles of water. This kit would most likely be used if a fire or tornado broke out and you had to get away quickly but had the possibility of coming back home.

Now the one I keep in my car has a little of both of the other kits in it. Food water clothes first aid kit tool kit. But I also have a roadside car kit pillows blankets local maps and a bag with books and games for the kids. You never know where you will be when you might not be able to return home. So it's best to be prepared.

www.ready.gov says it's best to have a kit and to make a plan. Planning for the unknown insures you are ready for whatever disaster may come your way. Make sure you keep the kits up to date. Rotate out food. Change the size of clothes as needed. And most importantly make sure it is done. ( yahoo.com )





No comments:

Post a Comment